ONAGA HIGH SCHOOL SCHOLARSHIPS
AVAILABLE THROUGH THE
KANSAS RURAL COMMUNITIES FOUNDATION
AND THE WAMEGO COMMUNITY FOUNDATION
Walter Byers Scholarship (approx. $1,000)
Walters Byers was the owner of the Byers Ranch near Emmett, Kansas from 1965 until his death in 2015. In 1951 Mr. Byers was named the first executive director of the NCAA. It was Mr. Byers’ wish to award an annual, renewable scholarship to a Kansas high school student based upon need and academic achievement. The scholarship may be used to attend any college or university in the United States. The scholarship may be renewed for recipients, upon determination by the Kansas Rural Communities Foundation of continuing eligibility, through college and may even extend to post graduate studies in a field other than law or veterinary medicine.
- Available to a high school senior from Jackson, Nemaha, Pottawatomie or Wabaunsee counties
- The applicant must be a Kansas resident for at least four years prior to receipt of the scholarship
- Grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (3.0 GPA must be maintained in college for renewal)
- Evidence of financial need required
David Hartwich Scholarship (2 at approx. $500)
This scholarship was established in memory of David Hartwich and his passion for Industrial, Vocational, and Agriculture areas. David (1972-2015) graduated from Onaga High School in 1972 and from Emporia State University with a degree in Industrial Education in 1976. He taught from 1976-1979 at Sabetha High School and then at Wamego High School from 1979-2009. Once Dave retired he raised cattle, farmed, and continued to run his dirt work/construction company. His love for Industrial, Vocational, and Agriculture was prevalent throughout his lifetime.
- Available to a graduate of Wamego High School, Rock Creek High School, or Onaga High School
- The scholarship is to be used for post-secondary education in Industrial Arts, Vocational, or Agriculture
- Special consideration will be given to students who have taken Industrial Arts or Agriculture classes
Kaw Valley State Bank & Trust Co Employee Donor Advised Scholarship (3 at approx. $100 each)
The employees of the Kaw Valley State Bank in Wamego, Kansas have established a fund to award scholarships to area high school seniors. Three $100 scholarships will be awarded to students attending a high school in Pottawatomie or Wabaunsee counties.
- Available to a high school senior from Pottawatomie or Wabaunsee counties
- The recipient shall be enrolled in any accredited two or four year post-secondary institution.
- Special consideration shall be given to a family member of an employee of Kaw Valley State Bank.
- Special consideration shall be given to any student who shows leadership within their school by being part of a club or civic group.
The following application can be used to Apply for both scholarships: The applications are due to Mrs. Haug by FEBUARY 14th 3:45 pm